Click here to begin the application
Application ProcessThe application process is multi-tiered and includes submitting a formal application, as well as in-person or telephone interviews with the Director of Admission. Families learn about the school’s mission and values, programs, facilities, and community. At the same time, the school learns about a family’s reasons for exploring VMS and the goals they have for their child’s education. A tour of the school typically takes place at this point, although it can also be paired with the student visit day, which takes place later.
A complete application for admission consists of:
- Completed online application. Students applying for grades 6-12 are expected to complete a portion of the application themselves. The application for grades K-5 is completed by parents.
- 3 years of school records including grades and formal transcripts
- Teacher recommendations. Applicants in grades 1-5 submit one from their main classroom teacher. Those in grades 6-12 provide recommendations from: an English teacher; a math teacher; and a representative of the school, which can be the principal, an advisor, or counselor. For applicants to kindergarten, there is an observation form to be filled out by their preschool teacher.
- Current standardized, normed testing such as the IOWA, ERB, Stanford, CSAP, NWEA, etc.
- Any testing the applicant has had must be provided. Examples may include WISC, WISPI, Gizell, COGAT, gifted and talented profiles or processing disorder profiles.
- An in-person visit day where the applicant spends the day at VMS participating in current-grade level classes. Applicants for kindergarten participate in a group playdate in place of the visit day and a representative of the school will observe the applicant in the familiar learning setting of their preschool if possible.