Open House Events
- Fall Open House: Tuesday November 3, 2020 - 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM (drop in)
- Kindergarten Open House: Wednesday November 4, 2020 - 5:30-7:30 PM
- Spring Open House: Sat. May 8, 2021 (tbd) - 12:00 - 4:00 PM
ApplicationThe application process is multi-tiered and includes submitting a formal application, as well as in-person, telephone, or Zoom interviews with the Director of Admission. Families learn about the school’s mission and values, programs, facilities, and community. At the same time, the school learns about a family’s reasons for exploring VMS and the goals they have for their child’s education. A tour of the school typically takes place at this point, although it can also be paired with the student visit day, which takes place later.
A complete application for admission consists of:
- Completed online application. Students applying for grades 6-12 are expected to complete a portion of the application themselves. The application for grades K-5 is completed by parents.
- 3 years of school records including grades and formal transcripts
- Teacher recommendations. Applicants in grades 1-5 submit one from their main classroom teacher. Those in grades 6-12 provide recommendations from: an English teacher; a math teacher; and a representative of the school, which can be the principal, an advisor, or counselor. For applicants to kindergarten, there is an observation form to be filled out by their preschool teacher.
- Current standardized, normed testing such as the IOWA, ERB, Stanford, CSAP, NWEA, etc.
- Any testing the applicant has had must be provided. Examples may include WISC, WISPI, Gizell, COGAT, gifted and talented profiles or processing disorder profiles.
- An in-person visit day where the applicant spends the day at VMS participating in current-grade level classes. Applicants for kindergarten participate in a Readiness Screening playdate in place of the visit day and a representative of the school will observe the applicant in the familiar learning setting of their preschool if possible.
Campus ToursOur beautiful campus makes a lasting impression on everyone who visits. Tours may be arranged at any time of the year by contacting the admissions office. Even more impressive, and perhaps the best representation of the school, are the interactions with students and faculty that take place during a personal visit. Please contact (970) 477-7164 or email@example.com to arrange a visit.
Visit DayParticipating in a classroom discussion, playing at recess, and meeting our inspiring faculty will help equip a family to make what could be the most important academic decision of a child’s life. Likewise, this visit day is a critical piece of helping a student feel comfortable with becoming a part of a new school community. During the visit, prospective students will spend the day in their current grade paired with a student who will help them get from class to class, take them to lunch and recess, and help the student feel comfortable and welcome, a trademark of the VMS culture.
Application ReviewEach application is reviewed by a committee that is led by the Director of Admission and comprised of faculty, staff, and administrators. Committees begin each evaluation by asking the overarching question, “Does the applicant have the potential to thrive and be happy in this environment?” They consider school records, teacher recommendations, relevant testing data, personal and family interviews, visit day observations, and other aspects of the applicant’s learning profile to determine:
- Is the applicant ready for us, and are we ready for them?
- Are they capable of being successful in our learning environment; can we challenge and support them, recognizing their needs as an individual learner?
- Does the applicant demonstrate strong character and the potential for leadership?
- Will the family partner with the school in supporting the needs of the student?
Notification of DecisionApplicants are notified by the Director of Admission via telephone, e-mail, or mail with one of the following decisions:
- accepted and offered enrollment
- accepted and offered a place in the waitpool if the given grade is full
- denied admission if the admission committee determines that an applicant is not a good fit for the school
Deadlines for Applications to Grades 1-11Students come to VMS from many locations and at different times of the year. Whether pursuing a change of local school or a major family relocation, we understand that finding the right school can be the one of the most important decisions a family can make, and that everyone’s circumstances are unique. After the beginning of the school year, applications are accepted for the following school year. In grades 1-11, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. If accepted, enrollment will be offered based on available space. If the given grade is full, candidates will be placed into the waitpool, which is the list of students considered when a vacancy arises. In select circumstances and space permitting, mid-year enrollment may be a possibility.
Deadlines for Application to KindergartenApplications for Kindergarten follow a more specific schedule as outlined below. Notifications are sent out mid-February.
- Parent application due: Friday, December 18, 2020
- Preschool Teacher Observation Form due: Friday, January 9, 2021
- Kindergarten Readiness Screenings at VMS: Saturday, January 16, 2021; Saturday, January 30, 2021