School History

Vail Mountain School’s roots are closely intertwined with the town of Vail and its namesake ski area. Originally called Vail Country Day school, VMS began serving an inaugural group of four students in 1962 using the home of Vail-founder Pete Seibert as the school’s first classroom. Over the next decade, the school grew and moved, among other places, to the Vail Fire House, the Tivoli Lodge, and the Lionshead Gondola Building. In 1973, Vail Country Day was renamed Vail Mountain School, and the next year, the school moved to Minturn. The inaugural class of four students graduated in 1976. Three years later, the school built its first campus near the confluence of Booth and Gore Creeks, in East Vail. A generation later, in 2005, construction was completed on VMS’s current 92,000-square foot building — which now serves nearly 400 students.

When VMS was granted the land for our present campus, it came with the caveat that we preserve and maintain the homesteader cabin located on the property. Built by the Baldauf family in 1906, the cabin was moved and renovated twice, but remains in it’s original form as a reminder of the pioneer spirit that built, the town, the resort and the West. The image of the cabin is at the center of our school seal symbolizing the same pioneer spirit that built VMS, Vail’s first school.