Middle School Division DirectorPurpose:
The middle school director handles the overall leadership and strategic direction for the sixth through eighth grade students and faculty at Vail Mountain School. This position will manage the day-to-day operations of the middle school, working collaboratively with our other division directors and reporting to the Head of School.
Who You Are:
- A “raise your hand” type of person. You’re interested in participating in school events like orientation trips, field trips, sitting at lunch tables, assisting with carpool, hut trips, and Ski Fridays. You are ready to participate fully in the life of the school.
- An administrator who is aware of the educational, physical, social, and psychological needs of the school community, who is able to develop plans for meeting those needs
- Someone who will continue to stay up-to-date with current trends and research in education allowing programming decisions to be supported by research and best practices in the field of education
- Willing to provide general supervision of students
- A change champion who is open to new ideas and willing to put in the time and effort to implement, facilitate, and evaluate their success.
- Able to communicate in a timely and professional manner with students, parents, colleagues, and volunteers
- Ready to initiate, facilitate, and attend related meetings and assist with afternoon/evening programs; some of which may occur outside of the school day
- Willing to actively promote the mission of the school
- An advanced degree holder from an accredited university.
- An experienced teacher and/or administrator, preferably in an independent school.
What You Will Do:
Vision and Mission
- Maintain congruence between the school’s board-approved mission statement and all activities of the division
- Act as the educational leader responsible for the day-to-day operation of the division
- Direct the activities of the instructional staff and the non instructional staff in the performance of their duties
- Function as the chief articulator, and creator of the division’s programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are fully informed consonant with their individual roles
Student Support and Discipline
- Establish guidelines for proper student conduct and dress
- Follow-up on attendance and protocols
- Communicate regularly and effectively with parents
- Provide opportunities for conferences with teachers, parents, or administrators
- Facilitate additional support services when needed in conjunction with teachers and families
- Maintain discipline in harmony with school policies
- Work with the Admissions Director to ensure that offers of admission are extended to mission appropriate students and families
- Oversee the coordination of the co-curricular and extra-curricular activity programs, including the planning and the presentation of school assemblies and programs
- Oversee all correspondence relating to student life programs, discipline and procedures
- Develop and implement a parent education series as appropriate and necessary
Faculty Support and Oversight
- Observe, supervise, evaluate, and provide feedback to the faculty through classroom observation and regular interaction
- Participate in the hiring, on-boarding, and specific assignments of new faculty
- Support faculty in communicating personal and academic progress of students
- Ensure that teachers are familiar with and adhere to school policies
- Conduct regular meetings with faculty that deal with routine school matters, but also provide opportunities for the stimulating exchange of ideas of an educational and philosophical nature
- Maintain the budget for the division and oversee departmental budgets
- Serve as a consultant to teachers in matters of classroom management, teaching methods, and general school procedures
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
About Our FacultyThe faculty and staff at VMS possess a wide range of experience and talents unified by an unsurpassed commitment to teaching and nurturing emotional growth. In and out of the classroom, as a member of our community, you will be asked to contribute as a mentor, coach, tutor, and guide as well as other roles that emerge. You’ll work with peers who are smart, energetic, positive, motivated, and always involved. At the end of the day, you won’t be counting the minutes remaining but wishing you had time to accomplish more. It’s also likely that at the end of the day you might skin up Vail Mountain with your colleagues or go on a sunset mountain bike ride on nearby trails.
Portrait of a VMS Teacher
Our SchoolVail Mountain School is a Kindergarten through 12, co-educational, non-sectarian day school located in the Central Rocky Mountains, 100 miles west of Denver. The school’s primary focus is to provide a rigorous academic setting as preparation for college and for life. Co-curricular programs take full advantage of our location in the resort community of Vail and the White River National Forest. VMS is known for:
- A robust experiential and global education program
- The rigor of a high quality college preparatory curriculum combined with a rapport driven environment that inspires character development
- An unparalleled collaborative relationship with our community and our mountain environment
- The flexibility to support our athletes, thespians, musicians, artists, and diverse learners, in and outside of school
BenefitsTo attract new staff of the highest caliber and to make living in a luxury resort town easier, we are inspired by a progressive Strategic Plan to provide competitive salaries and benefits that include a few unique perks.
- Tuition remission for children of full-time faculty and staff as available and based on eligibility
- Competitive health insurance
- 403b retirement plan
- Vail/Beaver Creek ski pass with participation in our Ski Friday program
- Wellness stipend
- Free daily lunch
- Subsidized on-campus faculty housing (limited space available)
- Salary competitive with the in-state peers and commensurate with experience